Elisse's Apricot Slice
06 March 2019
Elisse, our Sales & Service Team Leader, has a great summer slice which is also perfect for autumn fruits like plums, figs and apples!
Makes: 24 slices
Prep time: 40 minutes
Cooking time: Approximately 30 minutes
- Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
- 170g caster sugar
- 250ml milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract or paste
- 10 cardamon seeds (removed from pod), crushed
- 100ml macadamia oil (walnut or olive is also nice)
- 2 eggs
- 200g (1 1/3cup) self-raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 10 apricots or in-season fruit, halved
- Raw sugar, for sprinkling
- Fresh ricotta and honey, to serve (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 160°C fan-forced (180°C without). Grease a slice tin and line with baking paper.
- Place the caster sugar, milk and lemon zest in a medium saucepan over low heat and stir gently until the sugar has dissolved (do not overheat milk).
- Turn off the heat and stir in the vanilla seeds, cardamon and oil. Then take the pan off the stove and let it cool for 10 minutes.
- Lightly beat the eggs, then add to the pan with the flour and bicarbonate of soda.
- Whisk to form a smooth batter (don’t overbeat).
- Pour the batter into the prepared tin, and place the apricots cut face-up.
- Sprinkle with the raw sugar.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. The top layer should be a pale golden colour and a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake should come out clean.
- Cool in the tin for a few minutes, then carefully remove from the tin and place onto a wire rack. Cool at room temperature for 1 hour before cutting.
- Serve with ricotta and honey, or by itself!
We hope you enjoy Elisse's slice!