Heartland Joins the Banking and Finance Oath
10 January 2018
I first heard of and joined the Banking and Finance Oath in September 2015. What I appreciated about the Banking and Finance Oath is that they believe financial services does ‘good’ in the community and is integral to society. I see what we do at Heartland Seniors Finance as improving the lives of our customers, and agreeing to do it in the right way, ethically and responsibly, aligned with what we do as a company.
Because of this alignment, we decided to invite all staff to take the oath in July this year. We did not want it to be a token decision so, as well as discussing at team meetings; I personally met with each before they took the oath to answer any questions. All agreed with all of the commitments made in the pledge.
The Banking and Finance Oath
Trust is the foundation of my profession.
- I will serve all interests in good faith.
- I will compete with honour.
- I will pursue my ends with ethical restraint.
- I will help create a sustainable future.
- I will help create a more just society.
- I will speak out against wrongdoing and support others who do the same.
- I will accept responsibility for my actions.
One interesting question that came up when the team signed up was regarding how the affirmation “I will create a sustainable future” applied to offering reverse mortgages. Though we don’t offer credit in relation to environmentally sustainable (or non-sustainable) businesses or services, this was an excellent question and showed the level of thought and care our team had when taking the oath. Looking at this question from Heartland’s perspective, sustainability has two key pillars:
- through suitably lending we enable our customers to stay in their homes and sustain their place in their community, maintaining well-being; and
- by taking our duty of care seriously, and lending in a respectful and ethical way, we are running a sustainable business and creating a sustainable future.
Heartland Seniors Finance became 100% committed in August 2018, and invite new staff to take the Oath when they commence.
Manager - Marketing & Compliance